Disability Services

Disability Frequently Asked Questions

If I register for accommodations, who will have access to my documentation?

  • SSD will have access to your documentation but your disability records are confidential. For more information, see our statement on confidentiality.

What services are available for students with psychological disabilities?

  • Services include disability management counseling, academic accommodations, information/referral, academic crisis intervention, and advocacy.

If I have consideration for absences, does that mean I don’t have to attend class?

  • No. Class attendance is extremely important and may be considered an essential component of the course or program. This accommodation only applies if a class is missed for disability-related reasons. If you miss class, you are responsible for contacting your instructor and making up any missed work as soon as possible.

If I am not a Vocational Rehabilitation client, can you help me?

  • Yes.

Does SSD test for disabilities in LDs and ADHD?

  • No. We maintain a list of resources for this service that may be obtained from SSD.

What are accommodations and how do I receive them?

  • Accommodations are modifications or changes to limit the impact of a person’s disability. In order to receive accommodations, you must request them and provide documentation of your disability and how it impacts you in the academic environment. Once you have been approved to receive accommodations, your letters will be prepared at the beginning of each semester.

Does SSD provide tutoring?

  • No, Tutoring is offered through the Student Success Center. LSUA has Writing Cetner for help in Enlish, and a Math/Science Lab to assist students in these areas.

Who is responsible for getting the documentation I need to apply for services?

  • You are responsible for getting the appropriate documentation to SSD. SSD may assist you in facilitating the process. However, you must follow up with your provider. All related costs incurred are your responsibility.

I have a medical condition. Is that considered a disability?

  • If you have a medical condition, you may be eligible for accommodations if the condition results in a functional limitation in a major life activity.

I have a learning disability. Will LSUA waive entrance requirements because of my disability?

  • No. The University does not waive entrance requirements for students with learning disabilities.

Will my transcript indicate that I received accommodations?

  • No. Your disability records are confidential and are not part of your LSUA transcript.

Does the University have tuition scholarships available for students with disabilities?

  • No. LSUA does not have tuition scholarships specially designated for students with disabilities. Students with disabilities are eligible for scholarships or other financial aid to the same extent as they would be if they did not have a disability.

I am unable to walk long distances because of my disability. What is available to me?

  • You may be eligible to receive a handicapped permit that would allow you to park closer to your classes. In order to obtain a permit for handicapped parking, you must contact Auxiliary Services. Auxiliary Services is located within the Student Center on the second floor.

If my doctor makes accommodation recommendations, will I receive those accommodations?

  • While recommendations are considered when determining reasonable accommodations, they are not mandatory. Your doctor makes these recommendations to aid in the accommodation determination.
Are "disability" and "handicap" the same thing?
  • A "disability" is a condition caused by accident, trauma, genetic or diseases that may limit a person's mobility, hearing, vision, speech or mental function. A person may have one or more disabilities.

  • A “handicap” is a physical or attitudinal constraint imposed upon a person; for example, stairs, narrow doorways, and curbs are handicaps imposed upon people with disabilities who use wheelchairs.

Are accommodations retroactive?

  • No. Accommodations are not retroactive. Accommodations for otherwise qualified students with disabilities do not take effect until you have completed registration with SSD and have provided the faculty member with your Accommodation Form. You must give faculty members at least three (3) school days notice before use of an accommodation. SSD cannot require the instructor or anyone else to make changes in grades for assignments/exams given prior to notifying the instructor of the accommodations.

Does SSD pay for interpreting services?

  • Yes. If a student meets his/her responsibilities, LSUA/SSD pays for all interpreting services to deaf and hard of hearing students for classroom functions.

How do I request an interpreter for my classes?

  • Call or otherwise notify SSD at least two (2) weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. Interpreters are in short supply. The sooner SSD knows of your needs the more likely we are to secure an interpreter by the beginning of class.

Will does my interpreter leave when I am late for class?

  • Interpreters are required to wait 10 minutes after the beginning of class. If you do not arrive prior to the interpreter leaving, you will receive a “no show” for that class. See the “no show” policy for more information.

Will my Individual Education Plan (IEP) serve as my documentation to receive services?

  • No. Individual Education Plans are not an assessment of your disability. They serve only as a guide for accommodations you received while in high school. In order to receive services, an copy of a current evaluation is needed. These are usually available through the assessment center for your school.